Learn how to crochet a mermaid tail using this easy crotchet pattern for spring and summer!
No more wrapping the little ones' freezer pops in paper towels! Simply slide the Popsicle in the sleeve and they are set. Fits most freezer pops and yogurts. No more freezing hands!
What a great way to use up some yarn scraps and make them for the kid's summer cookouts or birthday party favors! They will sure to be a favorite!
This pattern has been one of my best selling patterns on Etsy and now it is available for free! This pattern is worked in the round which means I highly suggest having a stitch marker or piece of yarn to keep track of your stitches and rows.
***You may make and sell products from my patterns but if you do I ask that you link back to my post. Please do not copy and post this pattern and claim it as your own. Please do not re-publish photos as your own.
***Want more patterns? Keep in touch and be sure to follow me on Facebook for new pattern sneak peeks before they become available on my shop! Feel free to post pictures of your finished projects and/or links to your shops so all can see. I love it when you tag me (@arianaehall)!
4.25 mm hook
DK worsted yarn #4 - I used red heart and above I used Loops & Thread Capri line
Stitch marker or piece of yarn to keep track of your rows
SC - single Crochet
St - stitch
CH - chain
Sl st - slip stitch
MC - magic circle
Inc. - increase (2sc in one stitch)
- You will be crocheting in the back loop only for the fins.
- This pattern is worked up in the round.
- Row 1: MC, CH1, 6sc in the circle. Pull the tail to close circle. (6)
- Row 2: 2sc in each SC (12)
- Row 3: SC in each stitch to end (12)
- Row 4: (Inc., 3sc) repeat 3 more times (15)
- Row 5: SC in each st (15)
- Row 6 – 20: Repeat row 5 (15) Sl st into the next 2 stitches and fasten off.
- Cut yarn and weave in the end inside the Popsicle holder.
MAKE 2 (leave a long tail on both ends of one fin)
- Round 1: SC on the 2nd ch from the hook. (4)
- Round 2: SC in the first st in both loops. SC in the next 2 st in back loops only, 2sc in the last st in both loops. Ch1, turn. (5)
- Round 3: 2sc in the first st in both loops, sc in the next 3 st back loops, sc in the last st in both loops. Ch 1, turn. (6)
- Round 4: SC in the first st in both loops, SC in the next 4 st in back loops, 2sc in the last st both loops. Ch1, turn. (7)
- Round 5: 2sc in the first st in both loops, SC in next 5 st in back loops only, SC in the last st in both loops. Ch 1, turn. (8)
- Round 6: SC in the first st in both loops, SC in the next 6 st in back loops only, 2sc in the st in both loops. Ch1, turn. (9)
- Round 7: 2sc in the first st in both loops, SC in the next 7 st in back loops only, SC in the last st in both loops. Ch1, turn. (10)
- Round 8: Sc in the first st in both loops, SC in the next 8 st in back loops only, 2sc in the last st in both loops. Ch1, turn. (11)
- Round 9: 2sc in the first st in both loops, SC in the next 9 st in back loops only, 2sc in the last st in both loops. Ch1,
cut yarn leaving a long tail for sewing. (12)
Weave in the long tail through the top of the fins. Scrunch together and make a slip stitch to hold the scrunch of the fins from the top. Join the two fins by sewing the short sides together.
Sew onto the bottom of the body.
And that's it, you are all finished! Now you are ready to enjoy your freezer pops out in the sun with the added style of this awesome tail fin!
I would like to see what you create! Tag me @arianaehall on Instagram and Facebook!
If you love this mermaid ice pop holder, then check out these amazing crocheted mermaid dolls that I handmade!